Everyone is always looking for the next best thing. We always are looking for the next big event that is going to change everything about our ministry. We are looking for next big sermon that is going to change our student’s lives. We are trying to find the next big book to read.
We are always looking for the next big thing. We are so focused on the next big thing we forget about the small wins our ministry is making. We have to remember the small things because it is the small conversations with students about how they are overcoming a struggle, how they are working on healing a broken relationship, how they are taking that next step towards Jesus that are the wins in which will keep us going strong in ministry. A reminder of why we do what we do.
Here are some “small” wins I would love to celebrate from this week:
- Had a conversation that a student who said they have been in the Word for one week straight.
- A student has not had a drink of alcohol in a month and wants to keep going strong.
- A new student in my group who has read the book we are going through every week and is growing with his relationship with Jesus.
- A student prayed for the first time.
- A student who is going to break off an unhealthy relationship because it is not God honoring.
- A student owning up to a mistake and wants to fix it.
- Someone forgiving a best friend that betrayed them.
These are some wins I almost over looked this week and I felt God telling me, “No, these are huge wins for these students. You don’t over look this.” Let’s make sure as we are looking ahead and trying to take our ministry to the next level, let’s not miss the everyday wins and celebrate the crap out of them.